23 December 2013

[Customs] Desktop Impala

I was looking forward to having the shiniest custom (yet) to have the honour of being my desktop decor, but now that is just a dream.

The effort spent layering anodized metallic pigment over Testor's chrome paint, to the extra effort of masking off parts for silver detailing all became a waste from a silly accident at the very end. All the days I've let the paint cure to test my patience was a waste, all those coats of clear I sprayed on was a waste.

Just this afternoon I finished buffing the surface by hand with polishing compound, and was hoping to finish it off with the buffing wheel bit on the dremel. Hand couldn't keep still because of the change in friction and it ended up digging in too deep into the clear paint completely removing the rest of the paint down to the metal. As if it couldn't get any worse, the body falls off the table and two corners get chipped heavily.





Fire Dept. Impala with chrome parts-turned black looks rather uncool. Stuff had to be done:











I'm utterly disappointed, but I didn't want to throw it away, so I finished up what I could and reassembled it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, Winter break is here though, I think you can pull it off on another car, but I understand your frustration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete