14 July 2014

[Customs] Illustrious Series Makes a Return.

I forgotten about this series for the longest time and haven't had enough
will power to get something going, thankfully I somehow got around to it! Series 3 is finally complete,
and I bring in new change in Series 4. Today, both series will be revealed:

I've had 3 Illustrious models finished ages ago, and sadly they've been collecting
dust I can't remove anymore due to poor paint prepping. Let's get that out of the way first:




Oops. I forgot to stick on decals. Wonderful start. This would be decent if the dust buildup
could was removeable. The gold was done in with a gold sharpie.




Yikes! Look at the mess! I'm terribly ashamed of this one. I've always convinced myself I made
something cool by simply removing the wing off the Superleggera, but it's a damn shame the dust is everywhere.




Horrible! Putrid! Disgusting!
Like the M3, I took a huge risk by getting that big "IS" decal to adhere to many slopes and surfaces.
It looks great, especially how it wraps around the fender. It really is just a darn shame there was too
much collateral damage. I am determined to try again with better prepping this time.



With better practice and mistakes taken into account, here's what I am able to produce now:





Mm..no dust, but still disappointing. This sure did not turn out as expected. The stubby rear
axle turned out to be the most bothersome feat of it all. Even the bonnet that can't fully close
doesn't bug me as much, but hey- the paint doesn't have any dust infused into it this time!






Better. Much better!
I pulled out a new tool from here on forth. Tamiya's modeling brush. Yes. This is wonderful.
Even my art stores don't sell a brush this fine. I got the fine line of gold and silver in everywhere.
I can see myself easily getting very carried away with this.



Series 3, folks.


The overall results are some of my worse customs made. The issue with dust occurring since
Series 1 has been discouraging. Lucky for me, that has changed. With new paints and new
tools, I've opened up new creative opportunities for Series 4. Take a look.






Went ham with the brush from this point on. Instead of masking and spraying on the black,
I went and did it all by hand. A lot of the interior was painted, but like all IS models, not a
single car is an open-top, so that gets missed out on. I also went ahead and did the
one-coloured spoke. Something I wanted to do since the last few tuner cars I painted.






Here's one of the cleanest models of the bunch. I didn't go heavy on black to contrast the other
spectrum of the colour scheme shown in the Fast Fish. Like the 599XX, I chose not to clutter the
side details of the casting's contour with decals, so the IS print can be found on the back end.
It seems like I could've added bits of black or gold, but somehow I get the feeling that may have
detracted from a clean race-car appeal. The wheels have even been left all black for that very reason.
My heart is indifferent, but my mind says I did just enough to indicate its IS image.





Doing away with the subcategories of the series, a classic such as the Miura would be defaced had
I not kept its image clean. Blocking in black or gold would not have worked out. The gold window
trim may have even bit a bit too much. The gold wheels on the other hand look pretty wonderful.
These normally-black wheels hid so much great detail in the mold's design. The overall balance
between the three colours here I'd say is the ideal amount I've been trying to pull off.






This one had the potential to be spectacular; with the wheels from 2012 Hot Wheels Racing Indycars,
and radical tail lights once painted. This one was originally set to be in the third series, but I decided
to move it in here to match the choice of cars better- wild and aggressive forms. I repainted the body,
but wasn't able to redo the window piece. This would have been killer had the reassembly stage not
run into problems. Lesson learned: make sure everything can still be reassembled before painting.
I haven't yet diagnosed why the rear end won't close up all the way. It remains a mystery.







This one's is it. There was no set idea for how I wanted to lay down the secondary colour.
I thought of going organic lines after I missed the opportunity to with the Furai. And since it
was a fantasy car with aggressive edges, this was another opportunity to scribble. Keeping
in mind I wanted triangular shapes and compositions, the brush is out once again and
scribbles are made. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. Leaving a section white
on the side panel is perfect. The two-face plus an extra thin stripe along the back makes
one mean image with the tail lights. After looking at this, I've never loved this cool casting
any more than I do now. This will likely be a huge influence to the Illustrious Series' image.



Series 4.
Series 5 may be set for completion next month. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment