9 July 2016

[Photo] Webster Falls & Tews Falls

There are two waterfalls located near each other in Hamilton, Ontario. Webster Falls is a 22-meter tall, and Tews is 41. It's a neat place to take a hike along the two sides of a valley. The lack of guard rails and frequent maintenance makes it feel much closer to the traversal experience of a natural landscape. Yes, that of course means being careless can equate to slipping off the edge and tumbling the way down. I arrived at the location all pumped up to take nice photos. I was disappointed to say the least. It was this day I realized I don't know a whole lot about working with DSLR cameras. A majority of the time, the camera actually refused to snap the picture. I later learned it was likely due to the exposure value not being ideal for the lens to handle, even though it was set to ISO 100 with a high shutter speed. But never the less, here are the crummy photos.



It was at this moment I realized I want to try out a wide-angle lens. The stock lens on the T3i makes the waterfall appear smaller than it feels in person. Capturing the entire fall was already a challenge with this 18-55mm lens, and zooming out all the way simply made the area feel tiny.







The recurrence of photos being over exposed was leaving me dissatisfied. But anyway, along one of these paths, there were several spot where we could view Tews Falls through the cluster of trees, but even then, the branches prove to be a great visual disruption.





Here are two poorly stitched panoramic shots. The execution is amateur; lighting didn't remain the same nor did the ends connect correctly. It made it a challenge to try and match the colours! I'll be sure to do a better job on my next hike.







It's cool how there is no fencing to prevent people from going over the edge. I actually like this preservation of natural landscape.
Standing on the rocky-ledge fencing at Niagara Falls is nowhere as exhilarating as this.



Sediments of the side of the cliff. This was along a descending rocky slope that takes you to the bottom of the hill where the train tracks are.
I imagined this wasn't the way to go, but I have a sister I can blame for that.



So we turned around and made our way back to the path we originally meant to take to loop us back to Tews,
went around that and made our way to Webster Falls.



The area here was much more developed than where we first started, so I wasn't as taken by the area personally. But there was history of its development shown in the informational boards found all around to keep the place interesting.







It was overall a pretty cool trip. Definitely wouldn't mind coming back again, or to visit the other water falls in the city.