16 April 2013

[WIP] Proj. Controller Cosmetics: Controller Arrived.

(Buttons and thumbsticks found here)

Oh my plans have almost been ruined. The colour of the controller was not really a teal but in fact a turquoise. A murky shade too; one that gives off that "cheap knockoff" look. The project can still go on. It just means that now I really need to work out a sharp-looking graphic that will cover up the ugliness of this colour (this particular shade anyway). You know that saying where "this looks much nicer in person"? Well this is the opposite. For me anyway, unsure about you.

 Sadly, even with an Auto Color Balance done on photoshop, my own photo produces a teal - the exact colour I wanted. I illustrate what it really looks like in the edited version below it.

You bet that says "DOUBLESHOCK". Can't expect anything more for a $15 remote.


I haven't disassembled my OEM controller just yet, because I want to finish the graphics before I proceed with gutting the good controller. While the circuit board on this generic controller works, it also has a small bit of lag and the the silicon buttons underneath the plastic plungers we press are way stiffer than the OEM so right off the bat I'm going to have an awful controller, but I'm a little uneasy about giving that crummy board to the OEM black controller. I have a pretty badass colour scheme for it, except it would suck if its performance couldn't match its looks. And I certainly don't want to buy an OEM controller just so I can fit it on that because that would be pointless. Maybe I'll look around for a use OEM controller.



Getting back on topic, this is what I have planned for the "teal" controller. Again, I show what I envisioned it to be, and what the sad truth is.


If only the thumbsticks were a little more orange. Just a little. Lemon-yellow isn't sitting too well for me, even if the shell was teal.

Also learned there may some handy work to be done. Hopefully there won't be much as I'd rather spend more time embellishing the surface finish.

Will post again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment