14 June 2014

[Customs] 1:18 Debut. Sangria Diablo SV

If you've been following my blog, I thank you such a commitment. Back in December 2013, I got hold of several 1:18 scale models to explore the possibilities of how much I can change as opposed to 1:64. This Diablo SV was the first one I picked up and I've always wanted to see a purple Diablo happen. Mattel made a horrible Diablo casting so I didn't bother to put my money on that. I found myself this Maisto brand diecast for a decent $20 and had that set up for a paintjob.

This is what it looked like before:




This was the list of things I planned for this project:

-Purple paint. A deep purple. Nail polish maker Revlon has this wonderful Bold Sangria which is just about spot on with the purple I've imagined.
-Airbrushing the nail polish. This would be my first time doing such a thing.

The interior and wheels are left as is. The other 3 cars I have will demand more sophisticated changes that raise new challenges I never had to face with modifying 1:64 cars, such as attaching new wheels to axles that weren't made for it. I'm expecting these to give me headaches so I wanted to take it slow. Here's the finished paintjob:













There's much to learn still, such as figuring out how I can fix up textured clear coats without losing its shine. Seems I can't sand a clear coat with 2000 grit without regaining its initial shine. Polishing compound can't bring it back, wax can't either. The best I can do is buff it until the surface is smooth and slick, but it won't reflect light like a wet coat of paint. I'm stumped here.


Something good I stumbled on is that one speaker sitting in the basement. By pure chance, I saw a city-night rooftop shot from a worm's eye view so I took a stab at it. I'll end my post with these 4.




The VW Bug is next.