26 December 2014

[Customs] Redone Race Cars



Just can't get enough of revamping recoloured castings. Really, what is there to be proud of?
The smooth metalflake coat of paint and crisp tampos weren't done by me. Yet why is there
a sense of accomplishment? Is it the delusion that I "came up with this idea, which happens
to have all those cool tampos and that slick paintjob?" Maybe. I apologize for starting this post
by questioning my methodology and berating my skills, but let's be real, had that flawless metalflake
paint and high-resolution tampos been of my production, that ought to be what I can be proud of.

Moving on, I have an interest in the 333SP, but unluckily, half the releases in my collection look awful.
Typical recoloured casting, with the goofy colour swap, poor taste in wheels and irrelevant tampos. I did them in.




Yus. Black and yellow are a good colour combination, but not the way the stock tampos
put it. That's toy appeal. By eliminating all of it and leaving (literally) just a dot of it, the
yellow remains an accent colour keeping the entire car from being entirely monochromatic.
I've always believed in yellow being a top choice as an accent colour when used in small
proportions. Think a black Ferrari with the only yellow coming from the badge. That's badass.






The flame tampos were goofy. They had to go. End of discussion.
It looked bland when all that was taken out. The pearl white is pretty
and all, but it's a race car, so I got the race car dust and dirt all over.
The choice of 5-spokes were meant to match the real car.
Overall, I'm still not satisfied with how this turned out.







Some of you may remember I had an extra Speed Machines which I already swapped out its wheels.
In a fair attempt to give this new one its own distinguishable features, I had to avoid installing
a set of gold WSPs. They are brilliant for this blue beast, but tis a challenge I cannot brush aside.
Amongst the 3 other 333SPs the yellow wing could've went on, I felt this one would
look best with it. The #33 tampos were already that colour after all. So what about the wheels? Matchbox 5-spokes again? Again? Can't. That would be taking
the easy way out. Plus I didn't have another set of size 2 wheels that fit (without having to bust out
the axle tubing). Reluctantly, I put PR5s on. 5SPs seemed more period correct, but they had a blandness
to it that didn't match the rest of the car's agile look in my opinion. To draw less attention
to the fact I put generic sports car wheels on it, I hid the split-spoke design with black paint. It didn't sit well with me. It was lacking something. I debated whether I should give it a yellow
rim to give presence to the negative space where the tires go would be a worthwhile. Nah.
I dropped a line of yellow on a single spoke to give the impression of race car wheels that have logos
printed on the spokes. Still looks lacking, but I imagined I would end up taking it too far if I kept going,
so I stopped. The combination of colours, especially with a solid yellow wing just make the whole thing
look like a child's toy. I will make no further comment on that.








This one has the greatest potential, and I didn't make it happen.
The solid red with lace wheels is very traditional of Ferrari race cars
and the race dirt makes it all the more fitting. It only needed one thing.
One big Shell logo. That's it. Some identity of a recognizable livery and
this would easily steal the show. I may revisit this one if I ever get myself
a decent colour printer. The 90's inkjet I've got is no longer up to snuff.