18 December 2014

[Customs] The Weathering Is So Delightful.

and there's no need to be frightful. And since the series has no place to go,
let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!


I had a GM Chevroleter I wanted to bathe in dirt. It like most WIPs of mine, they
will be found on my desk off to the side. With the semester over, I got to work right away.
Before showing that off, I took this opportunity to clear up two other muddy test mules that
haven't a place to be. So they received a clear of matte clear and now they're indexed:







I remember picking up random cars off The Toy Peddler to fill up a box, and this random
$1 Racing Champs was one of them. All the listing could identify it as was a Ford Stock Car.
Little did I realize it was a Galaxie until I actually began collecting the Hot Wheels casting.
The playwear was visible and it had a degree of grayness like it was collecting dust for years,
even though there was no actual dust on it. The stickers and decals weren't in perfect shape,
and this just gave off such a strong impression of a retired racecar.
It was decided what I'd do with it from then on.







This wasn't planned. I had a loose Impreza, and I had a ton of leftover paint when I completed the gravel
path diorama last summer. Not wanting to waste the paint and not caring a whole lot about the model,
the two mingled, and we have this dirty ride. Really, it was meant for me to test out the weathering kit,
practicing technique and discovering the limits, but then I just threw paint all over it like it meant nothing.











Had a layer of that light earth Tamiya weathering stick lathered on, but I wanted to give it a more grimier look,
like it just blazed through a coal yard to escape the shattering grounds of the earth.
That was done with oil paint mixed with a solvent to get it runny. Dry brushed for the
stains which surprisingly create the impression of oxidization!

It's practically covered up by the paint and dirt, but I had performed a step where I went back and forth on
scratching the factory paint with a blade and dousing it with acetone to soften up the wounds for easier scraping.
I did most of if on the front edge and the two "ribs" on the bonnet.


What I need to do eventually is make a diorama for dirty cars. A clean white backdrop is really not fitting!​