14 February 2016

[Customs] As Low As It Gets - Porsche 356A Black

The Outlaw 356B was inspiring, so I went and made something similar.



I wanted this to sit on the floor, but the tires just won't allow it.



Never have I put so much time into perfecting the paint job on any custom before, but that's also because I have 2 new tools at my disposal.



It wasn't a matter of finding a new brand of paint or spraying it flawlessly. This time, it was in the polishing. Back then, 2000 grit was the furthest I could go. Now, there is 8000, 10000, and 12000 grit sandpaper to work with. I can really smooth out uneven surfaces and touch up fine scratches. And top it all off, there's also a tube of Tamiya's Fine grade polishing compound I end the job with. This can turn a scuffed panel into squeaky clean glass. I am most definitely sold on this product, and am already waiting for the Coarse and Finishing grades to complete the entire set.



There was a lot to be learned from this project. 2000 is good enough to take out the orange peel of paint, but a lot of stress can be taken off the 8000 grit if the transition was smoother. PErhaps if I had supply of sandpaper in the range of 4000 to 6000, that would most likely aid in taking off rougher surfaces.