19 February 2013

[WIP] One-Offs Sneak Peeks

With the start of reading week working through my day, I got time to take out the box full of cars waiting to be cut open. Amongst that pile of metal and plastic are customs that have been waiting to be worked on.




We'll start off on progress update of the Annihilator replica:


That yellow car is a BMW M1 that was in a grab bag at a thrift store. I'm fairly certain its a Majorette casting judging from its wheels, but that's not important so I won't get into that topic. What is important is that I needed was a shutter-type rear window for the Annihilator. The engine was taken off a Morris Wagon. I decided not to go with the VW Beetle after all, because this one had the distinctive V-Block which the Annihilator has itself. How I'm going to frankenstein the 2 bodies - and more importantly the interior piece - back together is going to be a challenge. If you want to get more details on the project parameters, you can visit this post.

(26 Feb Update: Next WIP post)



 Surfin' School Bus - BLINGS Edition
Since the day I blacklisted a bunch of cars (this casting included), I've been taking out cars to sell in a lot. Having a hunch no one would want the 2013 casting Cadillac Sixteen Concept at this time, its wheels were extracted and will be used on this low-riding school bus. If you're familiar with the casting, it uses 2 differently-sized wheels - size 1 in the front (regular size) and size 2 in the back. The size numbers are arbitrarily made up by me (since no one else really has) and it is really helpful when describing specific wheels. Size 2 in this case would be the size bigger than regularly-sized wheels. The Cadillac has size 2s in front and back. This means there's work to be done in the front wheel fender before I proceed any further. What I want to do hasn't been fully decided yet. I just know I want it to looked utterly pimped out.


toon
 The very first Toon car custom to be made!
If it's going to be called Blings, then make it somewhat more appropriate! I have an extra Dodge Ram and will fitting its wheels into this Mercedes G500. I want it to look like that one cosmetically modified G500 I've seen on the road one time. It had a piano black body and the wheels were similar to PR5s, so I'll be using that, painting the spokes black and leaving the rim chrome. Then I'll proceed to get some chrome along the edges of the car. That should sport a more attractive level of "bling" than this orange metal flake paintjob. 

 Hunter Camaro SS - NFS The Run Replica



While the game overall lacked, I really did appreciate the very large selection of cars, but this game was forgotten in record time. One car that was very memorable was the Hunter Camaro, whom you were forced to drive in one of the challenges down a freeway. The car couldn't turn well, but it had an exhilarating amount of power when you ran the nitrous. Its all-matte black appearance makes it a car not to be messed with:

The 5 spoke wheels I took off the Boulevard '64 GTO looks pretty darn close, even the tire thicknesses are similar! I've done enough single-colour customs to know this one can be completed fairly quick so I might just do this one first to get it out of the way, or I can do it later to mix things up. Stay tuned!

kyosho
 Have you wondered what a disassembled Kyosho looks like?
 
I showed some of my Kyoshos to my father and he was unimpressed with their quality. Before you go rampant, he isn't a collector and he has tastes for cars that are unlike car enthusiasts or the mindset of a collector for that matter. To me though, even a plain-coloured Kyosho like this CLK GTR is absolutely stunning. The detailing in the body is excellent, but what makes this really special is how far they went with it. When I was taking the car apart, I was only expecting 5 separate pieces; body, interior, wheels, base and rear wing. I hadn't noticed it before, but when I observed the underside of the body, I noticed there were a lot of riveted parts. I was wowwed at the amount of effort put into the parts. I started drilling out each rivet and before I knew it, there's about 8 more pieces to this model. The windshield and the A-pillar are all one piece, the headlights were one, the bottom and upper grill, the ducts that are situated over the driver's head, and even the vents beside the rear wing. The edges were seamless and had me believing they were all a part of the main body! That's reputable craftsmanship right there.

So now you're probably wondering why I even took one apart. All I will say is that the CLK GTR Roadster is going to make its way into another custom series I haven't yet talked about. You'll just have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment