20 March 2013

[WIP] In Before The Paint. Backup Measure.

I'm posting these in case something goes wrong in the clear coating phase.

The likeliness something bad will go wrong is likely around 6%, 17-24% if I get really impatient.


I've never had experience with alcohol-based marker nor correction pens mixing with pigmentless acrylics. There shouldn't be a problem, but again I'm not 100% sure.


Anyhow, this is what the exterior will look like unless I find some extra things to add. A decal might not even be necessary.

Detailed the front end as much as I could. There's a mix of Sharpie's Felt, Fine Tip, Dixon Correction Pen, and a Sakura PIGMA brush.

 I've had to redo the base and as such, the back wheels were lost and I had replaced them. The colour had to go since the front were gold and the back were red in a brilliant finish. I felt black wheels would have made a stronger statement by creating that contrast against the bare zamac body, but alas I want to keep it looking as close to its factory finish, so I twirled the silver metallic Sharpie marker and got a beautiful eggshell finish. I also got the pigma brush to get me a line that separates the door panel and the skirt. It helps keeping continuity with the black bumper strips on both ends.

 Since it's Sharpie markers I'm using, I can't go straight on zamac because it will show up as a tint changer on the bare metal. Establishing a white base was required. I could have used paint but it's late and I didn't want to bust out brushes, a cup of water and paper towels, so I used correction liquid instead. Took a while to get the hang of it, but it still comes out messy because the liquid begins to settle in as little as a second meaning I cannot disrupt the surface without disfiguring the smooth finish any longer. The resulting technique was I blotched more on, scribbling "past the line". It was okay to do this since I could easily remove excess with a knife, which then resulting in visible scratches on the body, but we'll call that a compromise and move on.

The back wheels presented an issue earlier in that the keys wouldn't fit comfortably if I had kept the wheels with stock offsets. I had tried to make the wheels thinner by shaving off the inside mass using a dremel. It got to the point where the wheel spun fast enough to build up heat from the friction of grinding against the mushroomed en of the axle it managed to burrow it in. It wasn't what I originally wanted, but this meant that the wheels were now pushed further away from each other and it's as if the axle length is longer. 

At the end of the day, this is going to be more of a tool to me than an ornament, so if I have to give up a level of beauty for the sake of usability, it will be worth it.

Other than that, the lamps, license plate and emblem were done in with correction liquid, then coloured with Sharpies.

 
A final shot at the front. Spent the most time here. The bumper strip was done in with the Sakura brush-tip marker, the headlamps, secondary lamps, signal lights, license plate, and emblem were also done in with correction liquid, the main grilles were easily done in with the fine tip Sharpie's. The trademark kidney grilles were filled in with the silver sharpie with ease, and the emblem as well as the signal lights were then coloured. If you look closely, you can see I even coloured in the "M3" badge located between the lamp and kidney grille: blue, red, then silver.



All that's left to do is to clear coat the thing to protect the paint for as long as possible (though it's all going to come off eventually through use), fasten the windshield to the body, clean up the inside face of the chassis plate, take some pretty photos and then go Mr. Graphic Designer on it before submitting!


I'm aiming for a position in Top 10, Top 3 as the ultimate goal. Best of luck to all contenders.

The contest details can be found here at Lamley Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment