13 July 2019

[Crafts] Bedroom Upgrades

Been living in this household for over a decade and while I admit I haven't been giving the bedroom much attention, it has sufficed... or maybe I adjusted my needs to accommodate my laziness. In any case, there were shortcomings I discovered in my daily life and with the execution of some renovations being done, I sought this opportunity to make some changes. Our walls and floors were changed, and that meant all furniture had been moved out. It's time to spice up my life.



One of primary challenges of getting the ideal setup in my room is dealing with limiting factors. One thing leads to another, and the starting ground of arranging the furniture boils down to working with the bed frame and wardrobe staying where they are. The window location and HVAC vent being in the middle of the room limited variations of choosing a position for the bed frame, and where the bedframe goes narrows down possibilities for the wardrobe. This is unfortunately how it's going to be.



As I've treated my bedroom largely as a storage space in the past- and I will most likely continue to do so, I wanted something more elegant. IKEA's infamous KALLAX shelf was on my watchlist. Sadly though, due to the closet's dingy sliding door being changed out to double regular doors, I now had to relocate the drawer that originally sat beside the bed frame so that the door can fully open to the other wall buddying up with the wardrobe. That was good bye to the 4x4 KALLAX shelf idea I wanted to put there. I really do want to use some area in the room to display a few collectibles in a dust-free enclosure.



The north wall holds the wardrobe and drawer. I don't have anything else planned for what goes beside all of this. I am trying to push for a more minimalistic lifestyle where I can, and I can definitely start with purging items I no longer need or have been meaning to get rid of.



Although not shown in the picture, the space betwen the bed and closet door are the two plastic drawers I've had originally. They contain most of my carded Hot Wheels and other 1/64 boxed diecasts. Once that is purged... or purged enough, I am committing to a BILLY bookcase with the 1/2 glass and board doors. This lets me maintain the current arrangement of necessities while offering a window enclosure. Also I can't do a full glass door as I risk breaking it if my hands slips off the closet door handle.



This headboard. It provided so little space to store things. I'm obsessed with storage, so I'm getting into cube storage shelves as a replacement. This will be going, but not without some modifications. What's happening is that I have a full-size mattress, and that means I wouldn't be able to sit the cube storage shelf on the floor without losing accessibility to compartments.



I'm going to need a way to bring up this shelf to the height over the mattress, and to do that I will dismantle the headboard and make a new stand fitted to the ideal size. The jist of it is that this is solely to take up space behind the bed frame, so I can take shortcuts leaving the construction relatively simple.



Added middle legs to support center loads, and cross beams to stop bending and twisting from lateral forces.



Threw on thin masonite sheets on the front and back, and voila- it's done. The masonite won't be visible once the mattress is put in place, and I don't want to live with paint fumes if at all possible, so I'm totally okay with how ugly this all looks.



I'd do IKEA's KALLAX 3x3 shelf, but the window frame neede to be 2 inches more to the left for it to fit. Oh the amount of close-call constraints! Instead I picked up a no-name cheapy $50 shelf that's comparatively smaller, though it's as bit too small.



The blinds have also been changed for the first time! This is the TRIPPEVALS with the dual-layering. The cellular shades supposed are great at keeping the heat out due to the extra layer of air inside each cell. I get how double-wall mugs work, but I'm unsure about these with open ends on both sides. Aside from that, what fascinated me the most was how it held without a drawstring. You pull it down and it holds! But I later foudn out the drawstring is built into the system and is found between the shade layers. The top bar contains a spring with the right load to hold the weight of the bottom bar still. Cool design nevertheless. Should've bought one of these a long time ago.



The last one was one I thought about for a long time. I drafted multiple solutions to how I can use the space behind my door and/or on the door to hold clothes, neatly separate them, and all without overloading the hollow-core door's load capacity. I thought of ceiling/floor mounted poles with a pegboard mounted on the wall behind the door, giving me a system that could utilize space near the ceiling. I turned down that idea under the premise of having to drill into the ceiling, leaving a permanent mark in the infrastructure. I opted for the door like I have originally thought of as that can always be replaced without leaving a scar. For this I'm putting vertical beams on the door, and will be mounting pegboards to that. This should help put more of the load on the entire door rather than the beams. Space is left to accommodate room to use the door handle.



I'm using IKEA's new pegboards, SKADIS. Though costly, they are actually stylish and youthful unlike the orthographic lifeless masonite boards. I cut out a square off the corner to accommodate the door handle.



All three panels are up, and I now have the freedom to arrange things however way it suits me best! I've opted not to use clothes hangers for the shirts as that that limits me to hanging two without stacking. The pants I fold in half and use hangers with clips. The middle section is reserved for things I'll have on when I go out; wallet, watch, keys, etc., and the middle rack is for socks. This put a huge smile on my face when it was completed.