8 February 2020

[Photo] Sakura Yae - Flame Sakitama Figure

That Shiki Livery RX-7 project seemed to have rekindled my interest in PVC figures once more. What an interesting turn of events things have become. What originally was a movement to exit this hobby to focus on 1/18 model cars, I'm now finding myself reverting back the other way around. While model cars take up less space than figurine boxes, the cost of each one, at least the ones I'm interested in, cost drastically more... And their windows are popping out! I'll spare you the story on that for another time, but let's focus on this niche figure you won't find any record of on MyFigureCollection.



This is Sakura Yae in her Flame Sakitama battlesuit from mobile game Honkai Impact 3rd. Amazing how the anime figure market has changed. Back in the day it was largely Japanese figure companies making all the figures. But now even non-Japanese game developers are releasing figures of quality that can rival big shots like Good Smile Company. The thought of people imagining 2D characters and turning them into 3D objects without any references to illustrations amazes me.



Although the results turn out more to be more closer to museum exhibit lighting and cool-light silhouettes, I am still using the same LED lamps and Canon T3i camera (stock body/lens) to get closer to nailing moody and low-lit photos.

































It probably goes without saying that I had a blast playing with the lighting's position, even if I ended up with inconsistent results for each. Shame this pose only has limited workable angles for photos.