16 April 2013

[Gaming] Bulk Uploading; It's play time!

With all assignments done and out of the way, I now have the time to record, process, and share video footage of recent gaming sessions.

What's first? Progress videos! I intended to keep it to Gouken only as I've been playing Sakura lesser now, but I decided to update the Sakura Progress series anyway since I may as well.


Not playing frequently enough means my tatsu links are going to be off.

You can double-click on the videos for a larger size via redirect to Youtube.


Surprise visit from Gunbound: Thor's Hammer!

1v1 Bunge with a newb.

I wrote a lengthy comment about this match. Basically, I bring up the point that racing head-on to the finish may not be the best way to win a match. Rather than trying to bunge the bigfoot user before he bunges my Raon, I make him dig his own hole, not until he is at a disadvantage, but until I don't have any disadvantages. Summarized version is as follows:

Raon Launcher is one of the most undervalued bots in the bunge-style games. For those who aren't familiar, bunging is the act of causing a player to fall through the bottom of the stage by destroying the land they stand on. This gave birth to game rooms being dedicated to bunging people to win, and that meant players are going to pick maps that don't have a lot of ground to dig through to speed up games. Dummy Slope (B Side) has the thinnest strips of land that any time a room is set to this map, it is without a doubt a bunge room.

The thing about bunge games or even a regular game is that you don't fall behind on your "progress". In turn-based games, each player has to accept any damage an opponent inflicts on them. If you assume the worse-case scenario, your opponent never misses a single shot and from then you can calculate how many more turns you get to shoot him before he finishes you. In other words, you can assume everyone only has a set number of turns to take before they get bunged or their health being reduced to zero. It's not pessimistic to think of turn-based games like this because it's the meta-game. So if we can number the amount of turns someone has to live, we can say that every time we land a shot on someone, we're making "progress". If your opponent has taken half your life points and you've barely started working away at him, he's made more progress than you, and if the progress rate from both players stay consistent, then you can assume he's probably going to win. That said, there are ways to interrupt someone's progress and that is what you need to aim for if there's just no way you can catch up to them. You can blow up the form of the terrain they may have relied on to get the desired angle to mess up their setup. Experienced players usually won't be phased by this, but it's better than nothing. However, there's always hope they miscalculate their adjustments or execute their shot poorly. I demonstrate this practice of interruption in this match.

Referring back to the video, during my 2nd turn, I was already at a huge disadvantage. He's on the top floor of the map and I'm stuck on the 2nd floor unable to move up with the bottom floor almost cleared open. Luckily my delay count was lower than his so I was able to take my next turn right after if I didn't take too long that turn. I knew if I didn't prevent this guy from fleeing to a safer spot, I would be done for. I destroyed the land under his feet to bring him down to my level. Now he's in the same situation as I am. My chance of survival went up fourfold. I must admit I was extremely lucky that speck of land on the left preventing me from moving up saved me. Because neither of us could move up to more land, the only other spot we could move to was to the right which had even less land than the spot we're huddling in. 

I take advantage of the situation. With so little room to move around. Neither one of us is able to aim for the ground since our bots are in the way. Instead of giving us both the luxury of point blank shooting each other. I decided to eliminate room for movement so he can't deal sufficient damage to me by laying down raon bombs ("babies" as they're referred to as often times) beside us. An inexperienced player wouldn't ever step on one deliberately because they don't see the greater picture. No progress will be made if he didn't move, which means if he wants to get anywhere, he'll have to move away from me, accept the damage inflicted from the babies' explosion, and then put himself in the advantageous spot. Since he chose not to, that means I can continue not having to take any risks. While he keeps trying to clear up land and dealing damage to me rather than digging a hole for me to fall through, all I have to do is put down more babies that control where he will move. In his last move before he bunges himself, he could've potentially taken the advantage by dropping down to the second piece of land and destroying the top piece. Since I made sure I'd fall on the bottom piece of land if he had managed to make me fall, although it probably wouldn't have got anywhere, it would've been a better move if he had dropped down to that lower piece of land to try and bunge me from there. It's a lot better than moving to the far right where there is no land underneath to save him which makes him vulnerable, but he bunged himself so he saved me the trouble.

To reiterate, when you're in a disadvantageous situation and trying to beat them at their own game isn't going to work, find a way to interrupt their progress until you can overtake them or manipulate them to do what you want. I've played Gunbound frequently for 3 or 4 years, spent most time on GB Revolution servers. Its host shut down the servers and so North American players had to migrate back to the horrible International servers which I refused to play. Now I'm stuck with the post-latino server Thor's Hammer. 

I miss playing with mirror disks.

No comments:

Post a Comment